Re: a test of converting to subversion

On Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 02:59:02PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> I have done a test import of d-i's cvs repository into subversion. The
> repository is available for anyone who has commit access to d-i at
> svn+ssh://svn.debian.org/svn/d-i/trunk or at
> svn://svn.debian.org/d-i/trunk for anonymous access, and can also be
> browsed with viewcvs at http://svn.debian.org/viewcvs/d-i/
[...]

Translated manuals rely on cvs revision numbers, as with boot-floppies,
so this change will be pretty painful here.  I see 2 solutions:
  a) Automatically replace cvs revision numbers of original files in
     translated documents with svn revision numbers.  Not sure if this
     can be done.
  b) Or generate a list of revision numbers for each files of the
     original manual when it is switched to svn (it should be doable,
     but no idea how).  Translators could first update their translated
     documents to the final cvs HEAD (yes, after the switch to svn,
     which means that cvs must not be disabled), then import their
     translations into svn, and in each file replace cvs revision
     numbers by svn ones at switching time.

Denis