Re: tar and busybox

On Thu, Feb 19, 2004 at 06:13:55PM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 19, 2004 at 02:44:38PM +0100, Bastian Blank wrote:
> > hi folks
> >
> > Any archive produced by tar 1.13.92 ary not accessible with busybox.
> >
> > Any versions before produced archives in a format called GNU. It only
> > uses a little subset of available types and moved the other information
> > into the mode field. This format is neither compatible with POSIX nor
> > with ustar.
> > The new tar dropped create support for this format and produces
> > something between OLDGNU (< tar 1.2 or such) and ustar.
> >
> > busybox only provides limited support for this tar archives and simply
> > failes because of some discrepances.
>
> Ok, fine, but what is the plan to solve this problem ?
>
> Any timeline for fixing busybox tar ? Is the patch posted here enough ?

To my knowledge, the behaviour change was reverted in tar-1.13.92-5, so
it does not seem necessary to change busybox tar:

tar (1.13.92-5) unstable; urgency=low

  * patch from Paul Eggert to revert bogus behavior where POSIXLY_CORRECT
    set in the environment forced 'pax' format archives, closes: #230872

http://mail.nongnu.org/archive/html/bug-tar/2004-02/msg00014.html

Michael