Up/Down/PgDn/PgUp not working anymore in cdebconf?

I'm not sure whether this problem only occurs on my system.

With a 20040212 netinst ISO image, the direction keys do not work
anymore for moving around d-i menus.

I use this image in a VmWare virtual machine under X, so this may be a
problem elsewhere on my system (I also use 2.6.* kernels for which I
already experienced some keyboard strange problems).

Can anyone confirm that these keys indeed work for him/her?