Re: PXE Netboot reports, problem with daily built d-i

Ariel Garcia wrote:
> A few comments though (sent the full testing/beta2 report to the BTS,
> didn't get the # yet):
>
> - please write down the right boot parameters in the
>     INSTALLATION_HOWTO!! :-)

The HOWTO links to the wiki's netboot page, which explains this.

>     devfs=mount console=tty0 ramdisk_size=8192 root=/dev/ram0
>
> - i guess the d-i uses a frambuffer... the left column
>  and several of the bottom lines were falling out of the screen. Also the
>  fonts do not get rendered very nicely (blurred in certain columns of the
>  screen). Would it be possible to use a standard text mode console by
>  default? Or is there any fb mode that you can be sure it will be
>  rendered right (not cut, nice fonts) with all the video adapters?

Not if we want to support UTF8. Most systems do not have problems with
the frame buffer.

> Then i tested the daily build of d-i, which means both
> {vmlinuz,netboot-initrd.gz}   from today and yesterday (9th and 10th of
>  Feb.):
>
> i was kicked out into the main menu after "detecting hardware" because
> there was no HD being detected, kernel was saying:
>
> ignoring BAR0-3 of ide Controller ****
>
> so there were no ide disks/partitions available for installation....
> Something wrong with the daily buit kernel in comparison to the beta2
> one?

You're doing netboot and then it downloads the wrong (or no) disk driver
modules from testing. Tell it to install unstable if you want to test
beta2 netboot.

--
see shy jo