Re: conditional for pkg-list, sparc needs two cdrom-initrd

In article <[🔎] 1076272378.3554.2.camel@outpost.dnsalias.org> jbailey@raspberryginger.com writes:

>--=-pLWLHV+/Tgl1EM3GVs6Y
>
>On Sun, 2004-02-08 at 11:57, Blars Blarson wrote:
>> For sparc, I've found I need to build two separate cd-initrd.gz's: one
>> for sun4cdm (sparc32) and another for sun4u (sparc64).
>
>Why do you need to do this?  All the userspace stuff should be the same
>- Only the kernel modules would be different.   What problem are you
>seeing?

The actual initrd format seems to be different -- the ultra machines
won't mount an initrd built in sparc32 mode.

>> (sparc32 machines may not be able to build sparc64
>> initrd, but sparc64 can build sparc32.) =20
>
>gcc -m64 should work from a sparc32 machine.  In fact, we need to always
>assume that we're building from sparc32.  That's the jail that the
>autobuilder sits in/

But gcc is not the only tool that acts differently in sparc32 and
sparc64 mode.  If all the tools only act differnetly depending on
uname -m, and don't execute any 64-bit code, then the build should
work on sparc32 hardware.

The buildd probably just uses sparc32, so it could be overriden by
sparc64 in the build scripts.
--
Blars Blarson			blarson@blars.org
				http://www.blars.org/blars.html