Re: debian-installer help wanted

Glenn McGrath wrote:
> What are the ideas ?
>
> I may be interested in working on them...

The best ideas I've seen are:

 - debix (http://alioth.debian.org/projects/debix)
 - a udeb that turns on swap earlier, using a spare partition or drive,
   before the whole installer is loaded and before partitioning happens

> Also as far as space on the root floppy goes, the lost+found directory
> entry in the current filesystem should be removed.
>
> If the root filesystem type up for negotiation then romfs is smaller
> than ext2.
>
> Is the only reason we need a writable filesystem so that the install
> reoprt can be stored there ? Is that a permanent feature ?

There are dozens of places where the installer writes to its filesystem.
A few:

  - /etc/ files written by netcfg
  - cdebconf databases
  - logs