network card activation

Hi,
I am a Debian 3(Woody) newbie. I am having a problem
getting my hp en1207d ethernet card activated. i installed
the rtl8139 module during installation but the automatic
dhcp configuration cannot activate it. i have been using
mandrake 9.1 before and the card seems to work fine with
it. i am not from a computer background and switched to
debian because i hear it is really good. is it possible to
tell me what i am doing wrong? is it possible for me to fix
this error or should i just stick to mandrake? Any help
would be greatly appreciated.
thanks you

Ron

Ron