d-i vs. devfs

So how bad do we really want d-i to depend upon devfs?

Here's what we've done to get around devfs. (This info is gathered
from /proc/partitions dynamically.)

/dev/sda
/dev/sda1
/dev/sda2
/dev/sda3
/dev/sda4
/dev/sda5
/dev/discs/disc0/disc  -> /dev/sda
/dev/discs/disc0/part1 -> /dev/sda1
/dev/discs/disc0/part2 -> /dev/sda2
/dev/discs/disc0/part3 -> /dev/sda3
/dev/discs/disc0/part4 -> /dev/sda4
/dev/discs/disc0/part5 -> /dev/sda5

This gets around partitioner and partconf (albeit partconf shows the
list twice, but that's easy enough to fix).

So should I implement this kind of solution or would it be preferrable
to teach partitioner and partconf about hda/sda and friends? Does either
one lend easier support for 2.6?

Thanks,

Stephen

<stephen@marenka.net>