Re: Bits about countrychooser and languagechooser

Christian Perrier wrote:
> -one more question asked to users
> -confusion about country : which country ? The one you live in, the
> one to use for choowing keyboard and mirror ?
> -confusion about locale settings resulting from this choice.
>
> Petter is (imho) indeed right for some points. I think the
> additionnal question issue shouldn't be a blocking point. We probably
> can save one question elsewhere, for instance by lowering the mirror
> country question.

In fact we have already replaced two fairly confusing questions in
tzsetup with one not confusing question using the more accurate country
information.

Compare this:

  root@dragon:~>tzsetup  -y
  Time zone configuration
  -----------------------

  Pick the geographic area in which the time zone you desire is located.

    1. Africa   5. Asia            9. Indian Ocean
    2. America  6. Atlantic Ocean  10. Pacific Ocean
    3. US       7. Australia       11. System V style time zones
    4. Canada   8. Europe          12. None of the above

  :-! Area for your time zone: 3   # note ambiguity with 2 and 3

  Cities represent the time zone in which they are located, so you may choose any
  city in the desired time zone.

    1. Alaska    4. Central       7. Hawaii          10. Mountain
    2. Aleutian  5. East-Indiana  8. Indiana-Starke  11. Pacific
    3. Arizona   6. Eastern       9. Michigan        12. Samoa

  :-! Select a city or time zone: 6

  With this:

  root@dragon:~>tzsetup -y -c US
  Time zone configuration
  -----------------------

  The following are common time zones in the United States. If you are in a
  different time zone, choose "other" to select from all available time zones.

    1. Eastern   4. Pacific  7. Aleutian      10. Indiana-Starke  13. other
    2. Central   5. Alaska   8. Arizona       11. Michigan
    3. Mountain  6. Hawaii   9. East-Indiana  12. Samoa

  :-! Select your time zone: 1

Or with this:

  root@dragon:~>tzsetup -y -c DE
  Time zone configuration
  -----------------------

  Based on your country, your time zone is probably Europe/Berlin.

  :-! Are you in the Europe/Berlin time zone? yes

It's a very real win.

> But, in the same time, add an "Other" entry for all languages. This
> "Other" entry would then trigger countrychooser (maybe showing a
> subset of the whole country list....with all *possible* countries,
> according to /usr/share/i18n/SUPPORTED).

> All languages without XX would then trigger countrychooser for
> choosing the correct country (ideally by grepping
> /usr/share/i18n/SUPPORTED) for possible other countries. For instance,
> for English:

I think this is a very good idea.

However, maybe you would only want to group the likely countries at the
top, and still list them all, because someone will be using Spanish in
Finland (hi Jesus!) or something.

--
see shy jo