Re: [Linux-NTFS-Dev] Re: Re: ntfs resize and gtk frontends

On Fri, Jan 23, 2004 at 09:12:55PM +1100, Andrew Clausen wrote:
> > 	[ parted in ocaml ]
> > > I would like it, if that counts!
> >
> > :))
>
> One thing with O'Caml: would it make it difficult to interface
> libocamlparted with distro installers?  I haven't used O'Caml, but I
> have enjoyed playing with Haskell a bit, and have heard O'Caml is much
> less painful for doing IO.

Huh, you are all seriously considering this ? .... <phone call with Andrew> ...

Well, as said, i will try to make a little toy implementation in the
next month or so, which would support amiga partition table writing (the
one i have experience with), and include both a ocaml text frontend, and
a C-binding library which should be as near as possible to libparted,
and either parted on top of that, or a smallish C frontend.

 > > >   - most distros ship parted but I don't know any who ships ocaml
> > > Debian :)
> >
> > Well, in that case Mandrake also :)
>
> Anyway, what dependencies would ocaml add?
> (some kind of libocaml?)

Well, ocaml can be both bytecode and native code. The bytecode is arch
independent, and maybe 2-3 times slower than the native code, but i
doubt speed is of importance here.

As dependency, bytecode stuff needs the ocaml virtual machine, which is
111372 of size. native code can be smaller. There would maybe also be
need of some of the ocaml libraries, but not that much. Mostly the Int64
module for 64bit integers, i think. The ocaml-base package contains all
the needed stuff for bytecode and is :

Package: ocaml-base
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.2.ds1-4), libgdbm3, libncurses5 (>=
5.3.20030510-1), tcl8.4 (>= 8.4.2), tk8.4 (>= 8.4.2), xlibs (>> 4.1.0)

Many of them would not be really needed in a smallish implementation.
all the tcl/tk iand x11 stuff we can remove for example. The size of
this package is 149942 though, but it contains all the libraries, and we
maybe don't need all that.

And naturally, for native code, it would be different, but let's see
once i have written something.

> I see you and Sven agree that the dependencies are small enough for a
> boot disk.

Not sure, but let's give this thing a try. If nothing else it would be
an interesting project.

Friendly,

Sven Luther