Re: Translations and changelogs

On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 10:20:59PM +0100, Denis Barbier wrote:

> > So, do you say hereby, that this functionality is not needed at all?
> Not at all, I am just trying to evaluate its drawbacks.  If all PO files
> were gathered into a single place as described at the bottom of
>   http://lists.debian.org/debian-i18n/2004/debian-i18n-200401/msg00061.html
> requiring updates of debian/changelog files would not make sense, so
> your script might be very helpful then.

As much I'd like my script to be useful ;) I don't thinkthat merging
files and maintaining them is a good idea or better said, a good idea for
a bunch of translators. The current d-i merged .po has roundabout 800
messages to be translated and it is desirable to keep them separated
according to the package. Apart from bandwidth and size (which would be
relevant in a CVS translator environment, as we at the russian team have
it), small chunks make translations maintainable and transparent, IMHO.

> As Steve Langasek told in another thread, you have to balance workload
> of translators and maintainers.  Maybe someone has to write another
> script to report changes within packages in subdirectories since the
> last upload, including a) new changelog entries and b) updated PO files.

It's kind of tricky to track changes in the source files, as they do not
have a required date field. The same with changelogs: I could grep for
"translation" or "\(??\.po\)" but they would still be no algorithm for
finding out from a script, what exactly has been updated. And no, I am not
writing an English language parser in bash :)

> If you do not make maintainers' life harder, they should have no reason
> to refuse to switch to another scheme.

As I am not a maintainer myself (yet?) I have only a vague іdea of what
would make more work for a maintainer and what would reduce it. Maybe
someone could express their opinion, how this could be ideally done to be
useful _and_ easy.

--
Nikolai Prokoschenko
nikolai@prokoschenko.de / Jabber: pronik@jabber.org