Re: miBoot problems

On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 03:58:19PM -0600, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > I guess it'll be hard to build miBoot with a free toolchain.
>
> > Would a contrib package be an acceptable build-dependency for d-i images ?
>
> Does any part of miboot actually have to be included in the d-i build?

It's just like syslinux: we need miBoot on the boot floppy. So far the
GPL hasn't been fulfilled since Debian does distribute miBoot in binary
form, but neither its source code nor an offer to do so.

Now, miBoot depends on a non-free toolchain to build. That mean it can't
go into "Debian GNU/Linux". FreeDOS is in contrib for the same reason.

My plans so far are to create a miBoot package for the contrib section,
make d-i build-depend on it, fill an RC-bug about this, then request a
sarge-ignore tag. Hopefully me or someone else will find a solution for
the next release. Does it sound reasonable ?

> I thought miboot was simply the bootloader, that would need to be
> pointed at the d-i images to be booted?

It's _inside_ the image. So far the binary is distributed by Debian
inside boot-floppy-hfs.img and inside the boot-floppies source code and
cvs repository (ouch!).

--
Jeremie Koenig <sprite@sprite.fr.eu.org>