Re: ntfs resize and gtk frontends

On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 08:02:16PM +0100, Geert Stappers wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 07:41:34PM +0100, Thorsten Sauter wrote:
> > * Fabri <fabri@quitnet.it> [2004-01-19 18:52]:
> > > Any plan on support ntfs resize in the new debian installer?
> > > Any update or plan on gtk frontends to d-i and an integration with
> > > bootsplash (bootsplash packages are now on debian mentors repos)?
> > any plan to help us writing a gtk frontend? or integration of ntfs
> > resizing support? :-)
> I didn't understood the original poster neither.
> It could be indeed an offer for help
> and as always: help is welcome.
> About the gtk frontend:
>   There wheren't any posting on the subject here,
>   so there is probably most help needed
> About the NTFS resize:
>   There was recently a post with 'I worked for me',
>   so there can people help with a verify plus report

Here's what I've done when there was a need for resizing an ntfs
partionion, while installing skolelinux:

boot with the skolelinux CD, but stopped before autopartkit is run.
insert a cd with a static version of ntfsresize from
http://mlf.linux.rulez.org/mlf/ezaz/ntfsresize.html#static, and ran
ntfsresize, tvice, first to make room for the new partitions, then
after using cfdisk to resize, I've run ntfsresize a second time to use
the whole partition. I've done this 5 or 6 times, and only failed once,
when I made the partition to small (smaler than the resized size
obvisly)

adding ntfsresize in the installer image, would be helpfull

even if it has to be run from the command line.

--
Finn-Arne Johansen
faj@bzz.no