Re: Branched languagechooser

Christian Perrier wrote:
> As some of you may have noticed, and as suggested by Joey and Steve
> Langasek, I created a "languagechooser_ng" branch in languagechooser
> (I did so two days ago but forgot to announce it here).
>
> This will allow those who want to test out my languagechooser proposal
> along with the new countrychooser to give them a look.

I gave it a try. I really like the new language chooser, it feels clean
and simple. I don't know whether the country codes on the left column
(and especially the "C") will puzzle users who are not familiar with
that convention.

countrychooser does not support backing up, and if I choose English, I
get "Andorra" as a default country, which is not the best default. If I
hit "u" for "US", it goes down one line the the UAE. I hit it again and
it jumped all the way down to the rest of the u's. Minor outlying
islands of the US are listed before the main country.

For some reason, after choosing United States, kbd-chooser defaulted me
to a Bulgarian keyboard. Why? Well, in the shell, debconf-get
debian-installer/country says "UM". Not "US". I'm sure I did not pick
the outlying islands; I went back and tried it again and still got UM.
Probably a substring match bug.

Of course I doubt that residents of the Midway Islands use Bulgarian
keyboards either.. ;-)

In the code: Is sourcing these countrycodemap, countrymap, programs
really necessary? I would write these as subroutines. It would also save
space to move the countrychooser program into the package's postinst.

--
see shy jo