Re: Countrychooser commited in CVS

Am Sath, 2004-01-17 ag 08:03, scríobh Christian Perrier:
> (Alastair, this is a discussion in -boot about countrychooser, a new
> d-i package, which makes use of your iso-codes package. I need to talk
> with you about some issues)
>
> Quoting Joey Hess (joeyh@debian.org):
>
> > That's interesting. This is a place where cdebconf deviates from the
> > debconf spec, apparently; ", " is the official list delimiter.
>
> I added the separating space, but I confirm that all works fine
> without it with cdebconf
>
> > Well I was wondering about geographical drill-down, or just geographical
> > groupings/headings in the list:
> >
> > 	Europe
> > 		Germany
> > 		France
> > 		Spain
> > 	America
> > 		US
> > 		Canada
> > 		Mexico
> >
> > But like I said, I'll reserve comment until I've seen it.
>
> Well, the problem here is that we do not have a valuable source for
> doing this. ISO code lists do no give information about such zones.

Yes.  I want to avoid expanding the role of iso-codes at the moment, as
it is designed to be a small component for many packages: its hard to
convince a developer to "bloat" their package by making it depend on
yours if you keep expanding your package to include new things.
So I think the information about zones should stay in countrychooser for
the moment.

> I think users in general are quite well aware of such long lists :
> these country lists are what you find on each and every  form which
> asks you for your address (those which continue to list French Guyane
> near France).
>
> As long as the form is sorted, any user may easily find his country by
> typing the first letter of its official name which I hopê they're
> aware of.
>
> The *current* list is a bt broken, according to Alastair (who
> maintains the iso-codes packages it's taken from). For instance,
> "Great-Britain" is listed there as "Britain" which is obviously
> bugguy.

Yes.  It should match the "Great Britain" returned from the locale, eg.
that returned by nl_langinfo(), so you could do
	localised_ctryname = dgettext("iso_3166",
		nl_langinfo(_NL_IDENTIFICATION_TERRITORY));

I would also like iso_3166.tab to match /usr/share/zoneinfo/iso3166.tab
(and so replace it later), but at the moment iso3166.tab uses "Britain
(UK)", so at the moment these two goals conflict. Working on it.

> I'm waiting for Alastair to release a new version of iso-codes with
> updated codes and translations.
>
> I will also ask him for a iso-3166-udeb package as countrychooser
> needs the iso-3166.tab file as reference.

Ok, that I can do. Should it just contain the .tab file, or the .po
files too?

- Alastair

--
Slán agus Beannacht,
Alastair

Alastair McKinstry <mckinstry@computer.org>
GPG Key fingerprint = 9E64 E714 8E08 81F9 F3DC  1020 FA8E 3790 9051 38F4

He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from
oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that
will reach to himself.

- --Thomas Paine