Re: Countrychooser commited in CVS

(Alastair, this is a discussion in -boot about countrychooser, a new
d-i package, which makes use of your iso-codes package. I need to talk
with you about some issues)

Quoting Joey Hess (joeyh@debian.org):

> That's interesting. This is a place where cdebconf deviates from the
> debconf spec, apparently; ", " is the official list delimiter.

I added the separating space, but I confirm that all works fine
without it with cdebconf

> Well I was wondering about geographical drill-down, or just geographical
> groupings/headings in the list:
>
> 	Europe
> 		Germany
> 		France
> 		Spain
> 	America
> 		US
> 		Canada
> 		Mexico
>
> But like I said, I'll reserve comment until I've seen it.

Well, the problem here is that we do not have a valuable source for
doing this. ISO code lists do no give information about such zones.

I think users in general are quite well aware of such long lists :
these country lists are what you find on each and every  form which
asks you for your address (those which continue to list French Guyane
near France).

As long as the form is sorted, any user may easily find his country by
typing the first letter of its official name which I hopê they're
aware of.

The *current* list is a bt broken, according to Alastair (who
maintains the iso-codes packages it's taken from). For instance,
"Great-Britain" is listed there as "Britain" which is obviously
bugguy.

I'm waiting for Alastair to release a new version of iso-codes with
updated codes and translations.

I will also ask him for a iso-3166-udeb package as countrychooser
needs the iso-3166.tab file as reference.