Re: Some minor d-i problems

W. Borgert wrote:
> a colleague of mine installed Sarge (netinst ISO image of 2004-01-11).
> He's a Windows guy and a very good professional GUI design engineer.
> He used Linux before (SuSE).  Here are his comments:
>
> 1. In the submenu "Configure apt" you can choose different methods,
>    such as ftp, http, file system.  There are two buttons "OK" and
>    "Cancel".  Pressing "OK" seems to lead to testing the source
>    (right?), but the dialog stays.  If you are finished with
>    selecting sources, you have to press "Cancel".  This is very
>    confusing.  My colleague suggests to rename "OK" to "Check
>    source" or "Test connection" and to rename "Cancel" to
>    "Complete" or "Finish" There could be an additional "Cancel"
>    button to get back to the main menu, but in this case that would
>    be identical in behaviour of the "Complete" button.

There is no mention of "Cancel to continue" anywhere in the
debian-installer; that would be braindead and violate at least two of
our UI policies. I suspect your friend may have ran into a known bug
that brings a user back to the described screen after they have
successfully set up an apt source; cancel is indeed one way to get out
of that loop. This bug is fixed in unstable.

> 2. OpenOffice has been installed, but he is sure, that he did not
>    select this package.  This was annoying (BIG package).

OpenOffice will be installed if you choose the "Office" task in tasksel.

> 3. GNOME has been installed, but a login from GDM was not possible
>    with the GNOME session, only with KDE.  (.../gnome-session or
>    so was missing).

Gnome in testing is seriously broken, this should be resolved soon.

--
see shy jo