Re: NEWT Support for UTF-8 and Fribidi

My answers will probably be far from complete...but others are welcome
to correct my mistakes.

> 1. is Newt UTF-friendly ? and if it is who is the code maintainer ? and
> is there a mailing list for it. I could not find any

I'm pretty sure it is (UTF friendly), as it perfectly handles
japanese, russian, greek (and Arabic, at least when it comes to UTF-8
encoded characters) stuff.

The newt package is maintained by Alastair.

So, as he is currently away or less active, a NMU may be proposed by
the debian-boot team, if needed.

Ask maintainer. http://packages.debian.org/libtextwrap

> 3. Should we have newt lib or should we hack cdebconf/newt.c file ?
>  Most likely we will need to hack newt lib. then were should we start.
>
> 4. is there s CVS we need to check changes in and who should we talk to
> to give them the patches.

If Alastair has a CVS for newt, it may be on alioth....

IMHO, you should first "apt-get source newt", hack it down as you
need, then propose a patch.

I may help in testing it by manually building ISO images with it along
with complete Arabic translations. I finally managed to be able to
build hand-crafted ISO images.

The most difficult is our 9 hours time lag...:)