Re: Plurar and Singular

On Tue, Jan 13, 2004 at 12:10:38AM +0100, Nikolai Prokoschenko wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 11, 2004 at 10:06:56AM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:

> > > So does this mean we can use ngettext-style translations from now on?
> > Only for the one thing in base-config that actually uses ngettext..

> Well, it seems there are more places. I just found one while translating,
> it is in debian-installer/tools/isoscan/debian/po, which says:

> The quick scan for installer ISO images, which looks only in common
> places, searched ${NUM_DIRS} directories in ${NUM_FILESYSTEMS} file
> systems without finding an installer ISO image.

> Obviously, it is also a case for plural forms :(( I guess it's too late to
> try to implement this properly in d-i/debconf/whatever ?

Oh, dear... this hasn't even had a proper implementation in gettext yet,
that I know of. :(  Having multiple numeric variables in a single msgid
causes an exponential explosion of the translation possibilities, and
not all languages will let you decompose the msgid for separate
translation, either.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer