Re: XFS support in d-i: netinst CD image available for download

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the feedback!  I think it's clear by this point where our
biggest bug lies (mkfs.xfs -f) -- definitely a major issue for anyone
not installing on a pristine disk...

On Mon, Jan 12, 2004 at 01:46:43PM +1100, Robert Moonen wrote:

> Well, here's my experiences with the new installer in a nutshell.

> The first boot went nice and smoothly, then while it was downloading
> packages, I was reading stuff about appropriate partitioning schemes and
> decided to change the partition structure on the install. So I ctrl-C'd
> out and started it again.
> Well the first hurdle came up when I tried to initialize my shiny new
> partition structure through the installer; it baulked and wouldn't
> initialize the first partition. Apparently even though I had removed all
> partitions and made the root partition smaller, the mkfs.xfs proggie
> wouldn't work with it because it hadn't been invoked with the -f option,
> so something to add the the install script there. ;-)

Right, because if the new partition starts in the same place as the old
partition, the XFS signature is still there.

> After low-levelling the drive(scsi), I tried again, this time when I was
> setting up the sources.list file, I had to press cancel to go back and
> fix something up(still in the script though), well now when it got to
> tasksel, that wouldn't work, even though I knew tasksel *did* work from
> the previous iteration. Another script bug i'd reckon.

Hmm, probably not XFS related.  Can you elaborate on "that wouldn't
work"?

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer