Disable frame buffer / boot in text mode?

Hi-
I would like to boot the installer in text mode, not in framebuffer mode. I need it this way because we install remotely on headless servers, and see the console via serial port and/or remote management hardware, which does text mode. In woody vanilla / bf24 this was possible by appending "video=vga16:off" at boot time, it would not start the frame buffer and everything would be perfect. This seems to not work with sarge however. Is there a new way of doing it? I hope this functionality has not been lost.

thanks for any help,
erik@columbia