install report: 32 mb ram install

Debian-installer-version: Jan 1st netinst iso, on a usb drive with a
	hand-built initrd. This initrd has on it the new busybox, which
	will be in tomorrow's images.

Machine: "my" LC2000
Memory: 512 mb, artificially limited to 32 mb at kernel boot with mem=32M
Root Device: ~30 gb ide, with 128 mb swap partition

Base System Installation Checklist:

Initial boot worked:    [O]
Configure network HW:   [O]
Config network:         [O]
Detect CD:              [O]
Load installer modules: [O]
Detect hard drives:     [O]
Partition hard drives:  [O]
Create file systems:    [O]
Mount partitions:       [O]
Install base system:    [O]
Install boot loader:    [O]
Reboot:                 [O]
[O] = OK, [E] = Error (please elaborate below), [ ] = didn't try it

Comments/Problems:

The 32 mb memory installs verified to work with the new busybox. I did have
to be careful to set up a swap partition; it would be better if the
installer automatically set up a swap file if memory is low and there is no
swap partition, and/or had sanity checks to avoid continuing without swap
on lowmem systems. The lowest I saw memory before setting up swap was at
800 kb free.

I kept the memory limited to 32 MB on reboot, and it came up fine and was
able to run base-config and aptitude. Swap was mounted correctly.

--
see shy jo