Re: beta 2 plans

On Wed, Dec 31, 2003 at 11:35:16PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> So my new plan is, as soon as i386 is releasable, to work to migrate the
> current set of debian-installer udebs and images to testing. AJ has
> agreed to do this without the usual testing delay stuff, all in one
> lump.

Please make sure I get a couple of days advance warning when you're ready
to do this :)

At the moment, testing's d-i is a symlink to unstable's. What will happen
when Joey gives the word is that symlink will be replaced by a proper
directory which will mirror the current contents of unstable's d-i,
but will not be auotmatically updated in any way - IOW, it'll be frozen,
again until Joey gives the word. Meanwhile, updates to unstable d-i will
continue working quite happily, and updates to the regular testing debs
(not udebs) will also continue.

Basically, we're looking at something like:

	latest udeb	latest udeb
	in testing	in unstable

	2004-01-01      2004-01-01
	2004-01-02	2004-01-02
	2004-01-08	2004-01-08 Joey gives the word to start the freeze
	2004-01-08	2004-01-09 unstable keeps updating w/ new uploads
	2004-01-08	2004-01-10 testing doesn't
	2004-01-08	2004-01-20
	2004-01-21	2004-01-21 Joey says end the freeze, testing udebs
	2004-01-22	2004-01-22 match unstable udebs again. freeze again
	2004-01-22	2004-01-23 as necessary

(dates have no relationship to reality)

We'll need to fix up d-i to use a process similar to the regular
archive's for updating testing at least a week or two before release,
but I'm inclined to think doing an iterative freeze process for d-i is
probably best and easiest for the moment.

Hope that's clear to everyone.

Cheers,
aj

               Linux.conf.au 2004 -- Because we can.