Integrity checks failing

When I attempted to install with the 2003-12-31
netinst CD, not long after I did the language
selection, I got an error message like this:

"The integrity check for <FOO> failed. It is most
likely corrupt. Aborting."

After that, I was able to reboot and get back to my
old system.

<FOO> varies a bit. On one attempted install, it was
"base-installer"; on another "baseconfig-udeb"; on
still another "bterm-unifont." I thought the problem
might be DMA-related, because I have an older CD-ROM
that does screwy things when DMA is enabled for it.
However, starting the install by typing "linux
ide=nodma" at the "boot:" prompt did not change
anything.