Another installation failure report

Hi...

I thought I'd add my installation failure report for today too:
After much screwing around (ie. creating my own local archive of udebs and
base packages, d-i does not play well with apt-cacher btw), I finally almost
got d-i to install debian.

Installing using the 'netboot' image, from a grub floppy with netboot/tftp
support built in. Current debian-installer cvs, deb/udeb packages fetched off
a mirror very recently.

Problems:
* Isn't it a bit odd to prompt for the debconf priority before prompting for
the language? How can I read the debconf priority prompt if I don't speak
english? The first prompt should be the language prompt.
* I'm using the newt frontend. It works pretty well most of the time. I still
haven't figured out how you get the cursor onto the 'go back' button in many
of dialog boxes.
* Hardware detection is broken. I'm using discover2 debs hacked into the
build, but naturally hw-detect doesn't talk to discover2 properly anyway.
* When doing the 'loading installer modules' stage, even though I select
nothing in the list, a lot of module that i really don't need are loaded. I
really don't need,eg. the irda kernel modules for an install. Not even a
little bit. Is this because they are of Priority: standard or something?
* fdisk is not user friendly. cfdisk is in the image, so why didn't the
installer use it instead of fdisk in the 'Partition a hard disk'? Why instead
is it in 'Partition a hard disk (OLD)'? Can we kill one or both from the
installer image?
* Debootstrap doesn't actually appear to output its progress via the frontend
yet, it's just showing a bunch of I: and P: messages on stdout, which is less
than pretty.
* Debootstrap failed because console-tools depends on libconsole, which
doesn't exist (#195766). Unfortunately, the front-end didn't print this
information out for me - I had to go grubbing in the log file myself. It
might be good if we could display the error log for the user on debootstrap
failure, or something like that.
* If I execute a shell from the installer menu, once I exit the shell for some
reason the vga framebuffer module is loaded, which is actually really
annoying (it screws up the screen). It isn't loaded by default - why does
closing a shell load it?

Other than these issues, I made it impressively close to an installed system
(closest I've ever got, normally things have kept dieing in the partitioning
stage.)

=)
Peter