2003-06-02 Install failure report

Hello,

It's time once more for another edition of Joe's d-i installation
failure report.  As usual, this install was performed via PXE using
Tollef's netboot image from today (2003-06-02).  Here are today's
issues:

0) First of all, at startup/boot we have multiple error messages:

[...]
Cannot open template file /var/lib/cdebconf/templates.dat
info: Trying to enable linux framebuffer.
modprobe: Can't locate module vesafb
modprobe: Can't locate module vga16fb
Debian Installer Main Menu
[...]

The framebuffer used to load/work properly at some point not too long
ago (ie. less than a month ago)...Did the kernel in the image change and
now doesn't include the necessary modules?

1) Next, when running netcfg-dhcp we have lots of extraneous
prompts/messages that don't need to be there.  This includes asking for
the hostname, asking for a confirmation, and then another gratuitous
prompt saying "I will now configure the network".

I don't think any of these prompts are necessary...perhaps we should try
to configure the network, and then -- only if it fails -- show the
prompts.  What do others think of this suggestion?

2) When hw-detect-full runs, it still tries to use the eepro100 module
instead of e100.  I presume this will be fixed when the transition to
discover2 has been completed.

3) Finally, we have (yet another) segfault during base-installer.  This
one also occurs during the debootstrap run.  It is caused by the get()
function, called by download_release(), not being passed the correct
args.  Specifically, if we look at lines 367-8 of
/usr/lib/debootstrap/functions, we have the following:

367:        local debdest="$TARGET/$($DLDEST deb $details)"
368:        if get "$m/${details##* }" $debdest $md5 $size; then

When I run debootstrap with "-x", I see that debdest is getting set
correctly:

+ local debdest=/target/var/cache/apt/archives/adduser_3.50_all.deb

But, the value mysteriously disappears from the call to get():

+ get http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/a/adduser/adduser_3.50_all.deb ba9224fe6c2f9ba88eecca3848005889 77474

There isn't even an extra space, which would be there if debdest were
simply empty/null.  The ommiting of the destination for the package
causes all kinds of problems that eventually result in a segfault.  How
and why this happens is a complete mystery to me...

Anyone have any ideas?  Should I file a bug against busybox-cvs?  I have
the complete trace from debootstrap (with -x) if anyone is interested...

Well, that concludes another edition of Joe's d-i installation reports.
Be sure to tune in next week for more -- same bat time, same bat
channel.

Joe Nahmias, DD wannabe