Re: Net image far too big

On Sun, Apr 20, 2003 at 12:13:43AM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> [Anthony Towns]
> > Seriously, stop obsessing over floppies. They're for legacy support
> > _only_; if they end up uninternationalised, or have to be two stage,
> > or use some other kernel, it just doesn't matter.
> The installation for the schools must be translated.  A
> lot of schools have old (>5 year) hardware, and some of it is unable
> to boot from CD and the net.  Because of this, we want i18n-enabled
> floppies.

Setting up a kernel on the floppy and an NFS or tftp server for the
rootfs would seem entirely plausible, no? Alternatively, if you don't
have a network at all, having a kernel on a floppy and a rootfs on CD
would also seem quite reasonable.

Better, of course, would probably be an entirely non-interactive installer,
where you stick in a floppy, point it at a server over the network, and end
up with an installed system with no further interaction -- and if there's no
interaction at all, localisation still doesn't matter.

Don't get me wrong; I'm not going to try to force you to not worry about
floppies or anything, but it really is a mistake to focus too heavily on
them.

Cheers,
aj

  ``Dear Anthony Towns: [...] Congratulations --
        you are now certified as a Red Hat Certified Engineer!''