Re: Building d-i

On Tue, Mar 18, 2003 at 09:23:00PM +0800, debian@computerdatasafe.com.au wrote:
 > On Tue, 18 Mar 2003, Stephane Enten wrote:
 >
 > > I've been able to build the floppy 'net' image without any trouble only
 > > by installing the needed packages on the host system (and removing the
 > > bogl stuff from the floppy tree), so I guess everything's there to build
 > > the package.
 > >
 > > If you want an easy way to find what's missing, just try to run the
 > > build process by entering the 'build' directory and run
 > > "make TYPE=whateveryouwant build".
 > >
 > > Then you'll soon see which packages are missing. Install them on the
 > > host system, and re-run, it'll work fine.
 >
 > It may well be that I am missing something incredibly obvious, and I
 > will be delighted if someone can point it out.
 >
 > I have checked out debian-installer, and I have these main directories:
 > chroot [root@numbat tmp]# find debian-installer -type d -maxdepth 1
 > debian-installer
 > debian-installer/CVS
 > debian-installer/anna
 > debian-installer/doc
 > debian-installer/build
 > debian-installer/kernel-image-di
 > debian-installer/kernel-splitter
 > debian-installer/libd-i
 > debian-installer/libdebian-installer
 > debian-installer/main-menu
 > debian-installer/retriever
 > debian-installer/rootskel
 > debian-installer/tools
 > debian-installer/utils
 > chroot [root@numbat tmp]#
 >
 > What I want to do is to build all these packages, and then go on to
 > create bootable disks from the results. I expect at some point to have a
 > set of udebs.

Yes, that's the idea.

 > Those directories come from a tarball I created from the checkout, which
 > I did under another account name.
 >
 > Here are the commands I have used most recently:
 > #!/bin/bash -xe
 > cd /tmp
 > rm -rf debian-installer
 > ls -oh debian-installer.tar.bz2
 > tar xjf debian-installer.tar.bz2
 > cd debian-installer/libdebian-installer
 > make all install
 > cd ../build/
 > cp -p sources.list sources.list.local
 > fakeroot make TYPE=net build
 >
 > This failed with these messages:
 > Need to download : di-utils-shell rootskel anna main-menu cdebconf-udeb
 > udpkg busybox-udeb dash-udeb kernel-image-2.4.20-386-udeb choose-mirror
 > net-retriever netcfg-static netcfg-dhcp pump-udeb modutils-basic
 > ethdetect nic-modules-shared-2.4.20-386-udeb
 > socket-modules-2.4.20-386-udeb isa-pnp-modules-2.4.20-386-udeb
 > nic-modules-2.4.20-386-udeb
 > Reading Package Lists...
 > Building Dependency Tree...
 > or been moved out of Incoming.
 >
 > Sorry, but the following packages have unmet dependencies:
 >   anna: Depends: libdebian-installer3 (>= 0.10) but it is not
 > installable
 >   ethdetect: Depends: libdebian-installer3 (>= 0.10) but it is not
 > installable
 >              Depends: libdiscover1 but it is not installable
 >   main-menu: Depends: libdebian-installer3 (>= 0.10) but it is not
 > installable
 >   netcfg-dhcp: Depends: libdebian-installer3 (>= 0.10) but it is not
 > installable
 >   netcfg-static: Depends: libdebian-installer3 (>= 0.10) but it is not
 > installable
 >   pump-udeb: Depends: libpopt0 (>= 1.6.4) but 1.6.2-7 is to be installed
 > E: Sorry, broken packages
 > make: *** [net-get_udebs-stamp] Error 100
 > chroot [root@numbat root]#
 >
 > Now, I have actually built and installed libdebian-installer:
 > chroot [root@numbat tmp]# ls /usr/lib/libdebian-installer.*
 > -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root         9280 Mar 18 21:03
 > /usr/lib/libdebian-installer.a
 > lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           28 Mar 18 21:03
 > /usr/lib/libdebian-installer.so -> libdebian-installer.so.3.2.0
 > lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           28 Mar 18 21:03
 > /usr/lib/libdebian-installer.so.3 -> libdebian-installer.so.3.2.0
 > -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root        15276 Mar 18 21:03
 > /usr/lib/libdebian-installer.so.3.2.0
 > chroot [root@numbat tmp]#
 >
 > but because it didn't go through package manangement, it does not
 > satisfy the depenencies.

You could change the apt-get command ran by the Makefile to get rid of
the Dependancies check, but it would not be really clean.

 > While I could install the package from Sarge, it is actually the CVS
 > version I want to use and test, so it makes no sense to me to install
 > the older version.

I did install the package from the sid repository.

 > I have not yet found any way to make any packages from this source, and
 > that is why I think something is missing.

You can to to the "libdebian-installer" and run "dpkg-buildpackage"
(you may need to install the dpkg-dev -from the sarge repository-
package) and you should end with a .deb of libdebian-installer fresh
from your CVS tree.

	Stéphane