Re: Building d-i

On Tue, 18 Mar 2003, Stephane Enten wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 18, 2003 at 06:50:37AM +0800, debian@computerdatasafe.com.au wrote:
>  > On 17 Mar 2003, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
>  >
>  > > obviously not, since you should ordinarily not build
>  > > libdebian-installer yourself, you should just install it into your
>  > > host system.  libdebian-installer is a normal debian package, which is
>  > > built like all normal debian packages.
>  > >
>  > > Please, please read all the stuff doc/*, the various README files
>  > > lying around and the Developer's Reference.
>  >
>  > I had read the doc/* before I started. Obviously I had missed
>  > build/README, but I have now read that, more than once, and the
>  > information I need is not there.
>  >
>  > I have already pointed out one error in the documentation, and here's
>  > another:
>  > [summer@gw summer]$ lynx -dump http://people.debian.org/~tfheen/debian-installer/
>  >
>  >                                    Not Found
>  >
>  >    The  requested  URL  /~tfheen/debian-installer/  was not found on
>  > this
>  >    server.
>  >      _________________________________________________________________
>  >
>  >
>  >     Apache/1.3.26 Server at people.debian.org Port 80
>  > [summer@gw summer]$
>  >
>  >
>  > Please, take the time to check that the documentation you want me to
>  > read is correct, and has pointers to necessary supplementary material
>  > such as relevant sections of the Developer's Reference.
>  >
>  > Also, check that you provide "complete source code" as described in the
>  > GPL. I have the feeling that the files and /or scripts to make the
>  > package is missing.
>
> I've been able to build the floppy 'net' image without any trouble only
> by installing the needed packages on the host system (and removing the
> bogl stuff from the floppy tree), so I guess everything's there to build
> the package.
>
> If you want an easy way to find what's missing, just try to run the
> build process by entering the 'build' directory and run
> "make TYPE=whateveryouwant build".
>
> Then you'll soon see which packages are missing. Install them on the
> host system, and re-run, it'll work fine.

It may well be that I am missing something incredibly obvious, and I
will be delighted if someone can point it out.

I have checked out debian-installer, and I have these main directories:
chroot [root@numbat tmp]# find debian-installer -type d -maxdepth 1
debian-installer
debian-installer/CVS
debian-installer/anna
debian-installer/doc
debian-installer/build
debian-installer/kernel-image-di
debian-installer/kernel-splitter
debian-installer/libd-i
debian-installer/libdebian-installer
debian-installer/main-menu
debian-installer/retriever
debian-installer/rootskel
debian-installer/tools
debian-installer/utils
chroot [root@numbat tmp]#

What I want to do is to build all these packages, and then go on to
create bootable disks from the results. I expect at some point to have a
set of udebs.

Those directories come from a tarball I created from the checkout, which
I did under another account name.

Here are the commands I have used most recently:
#!/bin/bash -xe
cd /tmp
rm -rf debian-installer
ls -oh debian-installer.tar.bz2
tar xjf debian-installer.tar.bz2
cd debian-installer/libdebian-installer
make all install
cd ../build/
cp -p sources.list sources.list.local
fakeroot make TYPE=net build

This failed with these messages:
Need to download : di-utils-shell rootskel anna main-menu cdebconf-udeb
udpkg busybox-udeb dash-udeb kernel-image-2.4.20-386-udeb choose-mirror
net-retriever netcfg-static netcfg-dhcp pump-udeb modutils-basic
ethdetect nic-modules-shared-2.4.20-386-udeb
socket-modules-2.4.20-386-udeb isa-pnp-modules-2.4.20-386-udeb
nic-modules-2.4.20-386-udeb
Reading Package Lists...
Building Dependency Tree...
or been moved out of Incoming.

  anna: Depends: libdebian-installer3 (>= 0.10) but it is not
installable
  ethdetect: Depends: libdebian-installer3 (>= 0.10) but it is not
installable
             Depends: libdiscover1 but it is not installable
  main-menu: Depends: libdebian-installer3 (>= 0.10) but it is not
installable
  netcfg-dhcp: Depends: libdebian-installer3 (>= 0.10) but it is not
installable
  netcfg-static: Depends: libdebian-installer3 (>= 0.10) but it is not
installable
  pump-udeb: Depends: libpopt0 (>= 1.6.4) but 1.6.2-7 is to be installed
E: Sorry, broken packages
make: *** [net-get_udebs-stamp] Error 100
chroot [root@numbat root]#

Now, I have actually built and installed libdebian-installer:
chroot [root@numbat tmp]# ls /usr/lib/libdebian-installer.*
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root         9280 Mar 18 21:03
/usr/lib/libdebian-installer.a
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           28 Mar 18 21:03
/usr/lib/libdebian-installer.so -> libdebian-installer.so.3.2.0
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           28 Mar 18 21:03
/usr/lib/libdebian-installer.so.3 -> libdebian-installer.so.3.2.0
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root        15276 Mar 18 21:03
/usr/lib/libdebian-installer.so.3.2.0
chroot [root@numbat tmp]#

but because it didn't go through package manangement, it does not
satisfy the depenencies.

While I could install the package from Sarge, it is actually the CVS
version I want to use and test, so it makes no sense to me to install
the older version.

I have not yet found any way to make any packages from this source, and
that is why I think something is missing.

--

Cheers
John Summerfield

Please, no off-list mail at all at all. This address accepts mail only from Debian lists.