Prompt: 1 - 19, default=Detect a keyboard and select layout>

The default action's not being taken:
Here is the main menu of the Debian installer.
  1. Choose language
  2. Configure network hardware
  3. Configure the network via DHCP
  4. Detect a keyboard and select layout (default)
  5. Configure a static network
  6. Choose mirror to install from
  7. Load installer modules
  8. Detect hard drives and load modules for them
  9. Partition a hard drive
 10. Automatically Partition Hard Drives (unsafe)
 11. Create filesystems
 12. Make swapspace
 13. Mount/Unmount a partition
 14. Install the base system
 15. Install the kernel
 16. Install LILO on a hard disk
 17. Install GRUB on a hard disk
 18. Finish the installation and reboot
 19. Execute a shell
Prompt: 1 - 19, default=Detect a keyboard and select layout>
kbd-chooser's postinst exited with status 256
installer[44]: Setting main menu question priority to critical
Debian Installer Main Menu

Choose the next step:
Here is the main menu of the Debian installer.
  1. Choose language
  2. Configure network hardware
  3. Configure the network via DHCP
  4. Detect a keyboard and select layout (default)
  5. Configure a static network
  6. Choose mirror to install from
  7. Load installer modules
  8. Detect hard drives and load modules for them
  9. Partition a hard drive
 10. Automatically Partition Hard Drives (unsafe)
 11. Create filesystems
 12. Make swapspace
 13. Mount/Unmount a partition
 14. Install the base system
 15. Install the kernel
 16. Install LILO on a hard disk
 17. Install GRUB on a hard disk
 18. Finish the installation and reboot
 19. Execute a shell
Prompt: 1 - 19, default=Detect a keyboard and select layout>
 CTRL-A Z for help |  9600 8N1 | APP | Minicom 2.00.0 | VT102 | Offline

There's no message anywhere I can see to tell me what's wrong.

FWIW manual selection does not work either.
FWIW I have bootkbd=qwerty/us on the kernel commandline.

--

Cheers
John Summerfield

Please, no off-list mail at all at all. This address accepts mail only from Debian lists.