runlevel problem, lame request for help...

So here comes my lame question...

I recently re-installed sid on my laptop with d-i. It worked well for
a few weeks. This is not really an install question, I know.

Yesterday I had a rather nasty crash when some X process stole my
keyboard input and gnome wouldn't quit using the menus. I rebooted and
things seemed to work on.

Today, when I boot, I only boot to runlevel 2. I have no /dev/tty5 and
no /dev/urandom. So, X won't start because it wants /dev/tty5 and init
keeps complaining saying

INIT: id "5" respawning too fast, disabling for 5 minutes.

I know this is a common error, and I know that it means that something
is failing in the /etc/rc5.d dir, but looking at dmesg, kern.log, and
/etc/messages, I don't see any specific messages about something
failing and bailing out to level 2.

So, my question is, do we use devfs in sid/sarge? If not, can I just
create /dev/tty5 again with mkdev and/or mknod? how? Who creates
/dev/urandom? Is there some log that you suggest I look in to find
which script is failing?

any help is greatly apprecaited...

thanks

  cardenas

--
michael cardenas       | lead software engineer, lindows.com
hyperpoem.net          | GNU/Linux software developer

"Great Faith.
 Great Doubt.
 Great Effort."
- The Three Qualities Necessary for Training