Re: Further difficulties with install

On Fri, Mar 14, 2003 at 07:55:05PM +0800, debian@computerdatasafe.com.au wrote:
> This may be in part because I've confused the installer....
>
> While awaiting for an answer to my previous question, I decided to
> continue the install from where I left off.
>
> I was booted up, got to "load kernel modules" and declined to load them
> off the CD.
>
> Well, now I went on from there and chose "Install kernel and Driver
> Modules."  I had the install CD in the drive and allowed it to use that.
> It mumbled and gave me a selection list of one entry whose full name
> wasn't visible, and I accepted it.
>
> I then went on to "Configure Device Driver Modules," but there were no
> modules there.
>
> I went back and forth a few times and discovered the modules are for
> 2.2.20 whereas I chose a 2.4 kernel.
>
> No worries, eject that CD and use disk 1.
> I repeated "Install kernel and Driver Modules," and this time it
> unconditionally copied /dists/stable/main/disks-i386/current/drivers.tgz
> which does not seem any better;-(.
>
> Is it worth reporting this as a bug? It seems to me it should work, but
> OTOH if d-i is the official fix to all these problems I guess there's
> little point.

I don't understand the problem. Configure Modules should work now.
You're right, there won't be any significant changes to boot-floppies.

> If d-i is the official fix, what's involved in giving that a run?

Testing is appreciated, the installer is in alpha moving-to-beta
stage. There are many links for info, take a look at the last month's
traffic on lists.debian.org/debian-boot .

-- Lawrence Bernstein, Discover, Feb 2003