Further difficulties with install

This may be in part because I've confused the installer....

While awaiting for an answer to my previous question, I decided to
continue the install from where I left off.

I was booted up, got to "load kernel modules" and declined to load them
off the CD.

Well, now I went on from there and chose "Install kernel and Driver
Modules."  I had the install CD in the drive and allowed it to use that.
It mumbled and gave me a selection list of one entry whose full name
wasn't visible, and I accepted it.

I then went on to "Configure Device Driver Modules," but there were no
modules there.

I went back and forth a few times and discovered the modules are for
2.2.20 whereas I chose a 2.4 kernel.

No worries, eject that CD and use disk 1.
I repeated "Install kernel and Driver Modules," and this time it
unconditionally copied /dists/stable/main/disks-i386/current/drivers.tgz
which does not seem any better;-(.

Is it worth reporting this as a bug? It seems to me it should work, but
OTOH if d-i is the official fix to all these problems I guess there's
little point.

If d-i is the official fix, what's involved in giving that a run?

Note that atm, my desktop machines are all RHL, except when I boot a
Knoppix CD. I do have a few basic woody chroot environments setup.

--

Cheers
John Summerfield

Please, no off-list mail at all at all. This address accepts mail only from Debian lists.