Re: cdebconf-slang-udeb for use in cdrom 2.88 MiB floppy?

[Matt Kraai]
> Does setting debconf/frontend change the frontend immediately, or
> does cdebconf have to be restarted?

cdebconf will have to be restarted.

But I think it is a good idea to set debconf/frontend instead of
DEBIAN_FRONTEND, and it should be fairly simple if we introduce a
small helper binary, debconf-set-frontend:

  #!/bin/sh
  . /usr/share/debconf/confmodule
  db_set debconf/frontend "$1"

By using this script, we are sure cdebconf is exited before main-menu
starts, and the frontend choice will take effect:

The code in sbin/debian-installer could then be changed like this:

  # init will restart this script when it exits.  This will let us
  # pick another frontend every time main-menu exits
  if [ -z "$DEBIAN_FRONTEND" ] ; then
      for frontend in gtk slang text ; do
          if [ -e "/usr/lib/cdebconf/frontend/$frontend.so" ] ; then
              debconf-set-frontend "$frontend"
              break
          fi
      done
  fi

I'm not quite sure how to change this to make sure it only set the
frontend once at startup, instead of every time the script is started
by init.  Any ideas?