Re: Using the slang frontend for CD installs

[Denis Barbier]
>> The select and multiselect dialogs look the same.  The selecton
>> dialog should look more like a menu, where I can move up and down
>> using the arrow keys, and choose using [enter] or [space].  It is
>> not intuitive for me having to press [tab] to get to the <next>
>> button to continue.
>>
>> The boolean dialog should accept [enter] to choose yes/no, instead of
>> having to move to the <next> button to continue.
>[...]
>
> How should [enter] key work?
>   a.  Select and go to next step
>   b.  Let current selection active and go to next step

It should select and move to the next question.  For a simple y/n
question, I would like to look like this

                           +----------+
                           |  [text]  |
                           |[question]|
                           | [y]  [n] |
                           +----------+

And the arrow keys should move between [y] and [n].  When the user is
ready he should press [enter] to choose and end the dialog.

For a select question, I would like to look like this

                           +-------------+
                           |   [text]    |
                           | [question]  |
                           | +---------+ |
                           | | option1 | |
                           | |*option2*| |
                           | | option3 | |
                           | +---------+ |
                           +-------------+

The arrow keys should move the focus between the options, and [enter]
should select the currently focused item and end the dialog.

For a multiselect question, I would like to look like this:

                           +--------------+
                           |    [text]    |
                           |  [question]  |
                           | +----------+ |
                           | |[x]option1| |
                           | |[x]option2| |
                           | |[ ]option3| |
                           | +----------+ |
                           +--------------+

The arrow keys should move focus between the options, and [space]
should flip the selection marker on and off.  Enter should select the
currently marked options and end the dialog.

> Please consider also that you know what you type; some people may
> hit [enter] key whereas input is wrong, this is why I prefer it
> being active only on <next> button.

If the choice is destructive and impossible to back out , the default
value (ie the one activate by [enter] should) should be the save
alternative (ie cancel, no, back, whatever).  If the question is to
erase the hard-drive, then the default should be no.  It should almost
always be possible to go back to the previous question and change the
selection.

This would make the installation intuitive to me, and also make it
possible to answer the questions quickly.

(No, I have no idea how we can make this happen.  But it is what I
want. :)