Re: Time to upload udebs into sid?

On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 05:03:17PM +0100, Martin Sjögren wrote:
> mån 2003-01-13 klockan 16.20 skrev Denis Barbier:
> > > On the other hand, it does make sense to use the text type for exactly
> > > these cases, instead of adding more types. We could first db_get the
> > > text template, and then use that string as argument to the progress
> > > commands. What's the problem with this?
> >
> > See #172218, I do not know what joeyh has in mind.  Anyway unless tausq
> > objects I will apply this patch soon, so that cdebconf can be uploaded.
> > Having progress bar support in the slang frontend would also be nice.
>
> Yes, I seem to recall that... I think we should prod joeyh about
> deciding something on this. But I'm not sure it's a good idea to send
> the *template name* of a text template as argument to either title or
> progress, it makes more sense to GET the question and use that text. Or
> do I have to METAGET description?

The latter, GET returns the question value.
But there is a major problem, the debconf protocol is intended to
deal with English fields, so you can't easily retrieve localized
fields.

> How does text work anyway? *confused*

AFAICT it is currently not used, so this is a hard question.

> OK, so maybe that's an argument against using text. ;) I just don't know
> if a template type is the way to go. What does short and long
> description mean for a title or progress info?

I do not understand your question.  My patch retrieves the short
description associated with a template name, and uses it instead
of the string passed as argument to PROGRESS STEP.

Denis