Re: fixing the base-installer progress bars

On Wed, Dec 31, 2003 at 11:23:31AM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> Appendix A: The debootstrap --debian-installer progress stream.
> The stream consists of a number of lines. Each line is of the form:
> CODE: arg1 [arg2 .. argn]

Format is:

	x: <tag>
	xA: <argument...>
	xF: <format string>

where x is E, W or I for error, warning or info. Each "x:" line is
followed by zero-or-more "xA:" lines (argument -- ie, info line the
particular package name to fill in the variables in a message), which
are then followed followed by exactly one "xF:" line (format -- what
debootstrap would display, but that you can normally ignore because you've
got debconf templates to use instead). The <tag> is a simple, one word,
single token identifier you can use to work out the purpose of the message
- it should be possible to index the debconf templates based on the <tag>
easily. Each <tag> will always be followed by a given number of xA: lines.

If you have:

	I: nextnum
	IA: one
	IA: two
	IF: the number after %s is %s

then you're being told to inform the user that the number after "one"
is "two".

The P codes (for progress) are similar, except for the extra parameters (indicating the progress), and...

> The codes are:
> P (progress)
> arg3 is a unique identifier for the progress item. It may be omitted
> sometimes.

It's omitted when it's using wget -- ie, there's already been a P: line with
the appropriate identifier, and it's just the progress that needs updating.
In that case, there are no PA or PF lines either.

> I (info)
> arg1 is an identifier for the information message in question
> Generally followed by an IA and IF.

Should be always, afaik.

> WF (warning format)
> args combine to form a format string. The info arguments are then
> substituted in turn into the %s tokens in the string to form the warning
> message.

Note that the formats are just there for convenience; d-i is expected
not to end up using any of them, afaik.

Cheers,
aj

               Linux.conf.au 2004 -- Because we can.