Re: New powerpc kernel packages accepted.

Mmm, where did my original mail go ?

On Tue, Dec 23, 2003 at 01:33:42PM +0100, Gaudenz Steinlin wrote:
> Am Die, den 23.12.2003 schrieb Sven Luther um 11:30:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Finally, the new powerpc kernel packages have been accepted and will
> > probably enter the archive this evening. This means that as of tomorrow,
> > the powerpc build will be broken, and i will try to fix what needs
> > fixing in debian-installer today or tomorrow.
> very good news!

Yep.

> > Saddly, it is as i have feared, that the package will be accpepted on
> > the eve of me going out for christmas and being offline until monday the
> > 29. But well, this is the disorganized way debian works, and we have to
> > make do.
> >
> > So, i will try to fix this evening and tomorrow morning, but i would
> > appreciate if other persons interested in the debian port would also
> > look at it after that, in particular to make sure that i didn't break
> > stuff on non chrp hardware.
> I can take a look at it probably on the 26th.

That would be great. I will try to work on it tomorrow morning (the
packages will reach the archive only this evening), or we can look at it
and discuss the issue in irc today yet.

> >   2) Well, on chrp (and probably pmac, but there we don't care) there is
> >   a size limit to the initrd we can use (1.4Mo (boot-floppies) works,
> >   2.2Mo (debian-installer cd target) don't). We can use the 1.1Mo net
> >   target initrd though, or copy the initrd to a partition and boot from
> >   there. I need to fix this, but it is not an easy thing.
> For loading initrds with yaboot this limit does not exist AFAIK.

Yep, i know. Only new world pmacs use yaboot.

> >   3) Someone need to work on the miboot floppy target, using the
> >   powerpc-small kernel that will be available, for support on old world
> >   pmacs.
> This has to be done by someone owning oldworld hardware...

Yep.

> > Also, i have a problem concerning the devfs stuff. There is a (generic)
> > bug in the kernel, which makes the /proc/partitions show the devfs path
> > even if devfs is not mounted. This is problematic, since altough the
> > tools will be able to handle that, it will really be confusing for the
> > users.
> As we have discussed before I don't think this is a big problem because
> i386 is in the same situation for a long time now and it did not cause
> any problems.

Yep. It still is a generic kernel bug though.

> > Now, would it make sense to postpone the beta2 to a more reasonable
> > date (january 11 for example), or do we drop powerpc support for the
> > beta2 and release a beta3 shortly thereafter ? A December 31 beta2
> > release date would be ok also, since i will be again here the 29 and 30,
> > and be able to fix stuff if needed.
> I would also like to release the beta2 around jan 11. If it's going to
> be released earlier I will not have the time to help out much on
> powerpc.

Ok. like said, this is lousy timing, but well, we have to make do with
what we have, and i guess that peoples would be able to do some testing
during the christmas holydays or something. I don't know if a beta2
postponing would be good, but maybe a beta3 that will follow up shortly.

But that said, there is not much to do, maybe we can be ready tomorrow.

Friendly,

Sven Luther