Re: New powerpc kernel packages accepted.

Am Die, den 23.12.2003 schrieb Sven Luther um 11:30:
> Hello,
>
> Finally, the new powerpc kernel packages have been accepted and will
> probably enter the archive this evening. This means that as of tomorrow,
> the powerpc build will be broken, and i will try to fix what needs
> fixing in debian-installer today or tomorrow.
very good news!

> Saddly, it is as i have feared, that the package will be accpepted on
> the eve of me going out for christmas and being offline until monday the
> 29. But well, this is the disorganized way debian works, and we have to
> make do.
>
> So, i will try to fix this evening and tomorrow morning, but i would
> appreciate if other persons interested in the debian port would also
> look at it after that, in particular to make sure that i didn't break
> stuff on non chrp hardware.
I can take a look at it probably on the 26th.

>   2) Well, on chrp (and probably pmac, but there we don't care) there is
>   a size limit to the initrd we can use (1.4Mo (boot-floppies) works,
>   2.2Mo (debian-installer cd target) don't). We can use the 1.1Mo net
>   target initrd though, or copy the initrd to a partition and boot from
>   there. I need to fix this, but it is not an easy thing.
For loading initrds with yaboot this limit does not exist AFAIK.

>   3) Someone need to work on the miboot floppy target, using the
>   powerpc-small kernel that will be available, for support on old world
>   pmacs.
This has to be done by someone owning oldworld hardware...

> Also, i have a problem concerning the devfs stuff. There is a (generic)
> bug in the kernel, which makes the /proc/partitions show the devfs path
> even if devfs is not mounted. This is problematic, since altough the
> tools will be able to handle that, it will really be confusing for the
> users.
As we have discussed before I don't think this is a big problem because
i386 is in the same situation for a long time now and it did not cause
any problems.

> Now, would it make sense to postpone the beta2 to a more reasonable
> date (january 11 for example), or do we drop powerpc support for the
> beta2 and release a beta3 shortly thereafter ? A December 31 beta2
> release date would be ok also, since i will be again here the 29 and 30,
> and be able to fix stuff if needed.
I would also like to release the beta2 around jan 11. If it's going to
be released earlier I will not have the time to help out much on
powerpc.

Gaudenz