documentation location quandry

In order for the CD images to get the installation howto and eventually
d-i's own manual on them, in place of the boot-floppies manual they
currently contain, the ftp site must include a doc/ directory along with
the d-i images, with our docs in it. The images are built and as a
BYHAND component of the debian-installer package, built from the build/
directory in CVS. To get the documentation on the ftp site, I see only a
few possiblities:

  1. Include a copy of the docs in the debian-installer package,
     periodically refreshed from the doc/ directory. I have implemented
     this, which is easy, but ugly, and will probably be much less easy
     if the d-i manual gets a build system of its own and should be
     included.
  2. Add a doc/debian directory, and make it build a deb containing the
     docs, plus a BYHAND component containing the subset of docs we want
     unpacked on the ftp site. The problem with this is that since the
     image directories on the ftp site are versioned, with a "current"
     symlink, the docs would have to go into a subdir of the same
     version as the image they are for. Which means coordinating uploads
     of the doc/ and build/ directories, which could easily be goofed
     up.
  3. Move build/debian to the top level, and so make the
     debian-installer package contain the whole tree. Then it can build
     images using the build/Makefile, and copy in docs from doc/. The
     problems with this are: Somehow cleaning the *whole* d-i tree
     (my d-i tree weighs 300 mb uncleaned); changes to build/ cannot be
     documented in build/debian/ anymore but instead nonintuitively
     should be documented in top-level debian/; the debian-installer
     source package will confusingly have stale duplicates of sources
     that are really their own packages in it.
  4. Reorganise the tree to something that makes more sense, such as:
     	toplevel/
		debian-installer/
			build/
			doc/
			debian/

		tools/
		retreivers/
      The first problem with this is that we're still using CVS. :-/
      Second problems is all the links and references to the doc/ and
      build/ directories. Third, this gives us a
      debian-installer/debian-installer directory in our home
      directories.
   5. Bail. Include a "document" in build/ that just points to the d-i
      website, and no other user documentation. But this will suck for
      anyone who wants to read some docs before installing, and does not
      have network access.

I don't know what do do, all the possibilities I've thought of are bad
in one way or another.

--
see shy jo