Re: Praise + possible bugs

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003, Joey Hess wrote:

> Michael Renner wrote:
>
> You can get the ability to do manual configuration if you boot with
> DEBCONF_PRIORITY=medium. Whether we should ask about it by default is
> debatable, and you'll be asked about several other things that are
> similarly grey in that mode..

I don't know if this has beewn discussed already, but what about letting
the user choose between dummy/normal/expert-mode at the start of the
installation (whereas dummy does most things automatic, maybe even
partitioning, and expert is the most 'verbose' mode regarding to questions
asked)

> I forget what it was called in the beta, but it is currently called
> "Load installer components from CD", which I think is clear. It's
> followed by "Detect hardware".

Hm, ok, I'll pay attention to that during the next install.

[/boot partition size warning]

> Bleagh. :-)

Yeah, depends on the target audience. I don't know how many mails still
hit the debian user mailinglists complaining about broken lilo
installations regarding that.

[lilo bugs]
> I agree that this is suboptimal, and there are bugs about at least some
> of what you mention.

Ok. I'll watch them.

[missing host prompt if dhcp'ed]
> If you do DHCP, it gets a hostname from the server, or sometimes falls
> back to a bad default of "localhost". This is an area that needs more
> work still, but in the daily builds you will be prompted for a hostname
> after you reboot if the installer didn't set one.

Ok. I guess this is the best way to handle that since (IIRC) most dhcp
servers don't hand out hostnames (iE those who hand out addresses from an
IP pool)

[missing apt sources]
> This is intentional. non-us is dead, non-free is not part of debian, and
> contrib is 90% useless without non-free. We'd prefer that the few users
> who need that stuff manually add entries for it like they do for other
> extra-Debian apt sources.

Ah, ok. Didn't know about that one.

best regards,
michael