Re: Installation woes on Dell 8300 (SATA Harddisk)

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003, peter robinson wrote:

> ICH5-SATA: chipset revision 2
> ICH5-SATA: 100% native mode on irq 9
> 	ide0: BM-DMA at 0xfea0-0xfea7, BIOS settings hda:DMA,hdb:pio
> (...)
> ide0 at 0xfea00-0xfe07,0xfe12 on irq9
> ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq15
> hda: ST3120026AS, ATA DISK drive

I had a similar problem with a new Gateway system with the same chipset. I
was able to use the image at http://nihonlinux.jp/release_en.html to get
the system up and running. I had a lot of trouble switching to the
2.6.0-test11 kernel because the drive is listed as SCSI under 2.6.0 (had
to fix my fstab by booting Knoppix.)
One of my co-workers just used Knoppix to install the system and while it
worked, it wasn't as clean as a regular Debian install.