Installation woes on Dell 8300 (SATA Harddisk)

Hi Debian People!

I was wondering if you could give me a hand...I am pretty new to Debian but
decided to try it out for my new computer, which apparently has too new
hardware to be supported by the 2.4.22 kernel.

The initial installation process hangs at
hda: attached ide-disk driver

Previously, detected the hardware reliably (it seems), including

ICH5-SATA: chipset revision 2
ICH5-SATA: 100% native mode on irq 9
	ide0: BM-DMA at 0xfea0-0xfea7, BIOS settings hda:DMA,hdb:pio
(...)
ide0 at 0xfea00-0xfe07,0xfe12 on irq9
ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq15
hda: ST3120026AS, ATA DISK drive

The computer is a Dell 8300 Dimension "Special Edition" with a Pentium IV 3
GHz, 120 GB SATA Harddisk (7200rpm, 8MB DataBurst Cache), 1024 dual channel
DDR/400 memory and an 128 MB ATi Radeon 9800 Pro-8xAGP  graphic card.

If you have any suggestions as to how to get Debian installed on this system,
I would be extremely grateful!...I imagine I will need to somehow get a newer
kernel version with support for SATA? How would I integrate this with the 3.0
installation DVD? I was not able to find a howto online...

THanks

Peter