Re: Proposal for languagechooser and language list

Hi!

Suppose we order the items acording the numbers of people speaking the
languages.  Very good -- in order to find the place of my language I
have to remember my geography lessons from the school.  I will find
much interesting and even surprising in the order.  Undoubtedly the
Debian installer will add to my general knowledge.

Another interesting order is acording to the translation status of
Debian.  Let the users know which languages we like and which we
dislike. ;-)

These orders are much better than the order language chooser uses now.
The default option is an English sentence so if I am smart enough I
will guess that the other options are the same sentence translated in
different languages.  Now I have to thing how to translate this
sentence to my language.  Hm, there are different possibilities.  I
can not find my language but is this bacause there isn't a translation
or because I haven't done carefull searching?  Very bad.

If you want to make the installer boring, then sort the items
alphabeticaly.  When the order is obvious, there is no fun, nothing to
thing about.

On 14.XII.2003 at 11:27 Steve Langasek wrote:
> CJK is an exception; not only are speakers of CJK languages least likely
> to be familiar with Latin sort order, their language codes are less
> likely to correspond to the native name for the language. ('ja' for
> Japanese comes from the Western name for the language, as does 'ko' for
> Korean, IIRC; and I'm not sure of the derivation of 'zh' for Chinese.)
> If someone can think of a sort algorithm that would better serve CJK
> users without compromising the utility to the users of the much more
> numerous (and harder to identify at a glance) Latin locales, I'd be
> interested to hear it.

The maintainer of language-env is japanese and uses the following order:

1 : be  (Bielaruskaja,Belarusian)
2 : bg  (Bulgarian)
3 : ca  (Catala,Catalan)
4 : da  (Dansk,Danish)