Re: Minor problems with the installer

I'm sorry for the delay in answering your installation report. As fas as
I can see, nobody else did yet, so here goes..

Oliver Gerlich wrote:
> Hello,
> a few days ago I installed Debian Sarge using the netinst ISO files.
> Besides some problems with booting from CD (I think my CD-writer is to
> blame for that) the installation succeeded. But I have noticed these
> (minor) flaws:
>
> - How do I install without DHCP? My PC is behind a router without DHCP
> (IPs and everything is configured by hand). But the installer tried to
> detect a DHCP server again and again. In the end I set up a DHCP on the
> router to get the installetion working. I remember that the Woody
> installer let me type in my configuration by hand.

Actually, the version you used does let you do that, you just have to
find the manual network configuration menu item, and after you do that
it will stop the annoying dhcp stuff.

This is fixed better in the daily d-i builds. They will try dhcp for 10
seconds, and then make it very easy for you to go on and do a manual
configuration if dhcp didn't work.

> - The cursor keys for the "Previous" and "Forward" ("Zurück" and
> "Weiter" in german) buttons are interchanged, at least on the first
> reboot-dialog. That means that the arrow-right keys selects the
> "Previous" button and vice versa. (I used the "Dialog" installer).

Fixed in the daily builds.

> - Selecting the right installation source was a bit misleading.
> Initially the CDROM was selected as install source - I wanted to do a
> netinstall and only had the small ISO image. And when there appeared a
> dialog asking if I wanted to add other APT-sources I didn't know that
> there weren't any servers selected so far, so I said No. Only when
> tasksel didn't show me very much I realized that I should have added
> some sources in the beginning.

Good observation. This is fixed in my tree for base-config 2.01 and will
enter the distribution soon.

Newer versions of base-config also let you back out from most points and
get a menu of choices, which would have let you revisit apt setup.

> And after the installation I saw that unnecessarily the CD was still in
> the apt-conf file, and that the contrib and non-free entries were
> missing. The installation should at least indicate this.

I'm not sure if removing the entry for the netinst CD is worth the
bother. Does it cause problems?

The installer does not bother with non-free any more, unless you do a
expert mode (DEBCONF_PRIORITY=low) install. There is so little reason to
use non-free that it does not bother me to make those who want it go a
little out of their way to get it, like they have to for any other
non-debian apt repository.

--
see shy jo