Re: Installation report on CDROM-less machine

On Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 06:18:15PM +0100, Hans Ekbrand wrote:

| OK, so I got a copy of debian-installer CVS and tried to create the
| netboot initrd. After installing some needed packages I was struck by
| libdiscover1 being installed (1.5-1.4.2) but not installable :-) Is it
| libdiscover1-udeb that is needed?

Nope, you need to patch build/get-packages as described by Geert Stappers:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2003/debian-boot-200312/msg00507.html

| In section 2.4 Booting from Network it says:
|
| "It's also possible to boot debian-installer completely from the net. The
| various methods to netboot depend on your architecture and netboot setup.
| They are not explaind here."
|
| I assume that info will be included in the final docs.

One would hope so :-)

| A few old NICs (e.g. DEC Etherworks III)
| are supported by netboot (here "netboot" refers to the "netboot"
| package, e.g. netboot_0.8.1-9_i386.deb) but not etherboot, but I don't
| see the need for netboot support.

According to man mknbi, the same image will work with both netboot and
etherboot.

| The last part of section 2.4 Booting from Network says:
|
| 'The "netboot-initrd.gz" is needed to netboot debian-installer. It contains
| only essential d-i modules to get the network up and running, everything
| else (d-i components and base packages) will be retrieved from network.
| If you don't have a netboot setup, you can also make a bootable CD with
| this image and have a minimal netinst CD.'
|
| Now, for pxe clients, netboot-initrd.gz works out of the box,

This sounds wrong to me.  I've never used PXE, but I was under the
impression that PXE needs its own bootloader, distinct from mknbi, to
tag the image.  man mknbi mentions PXELINUX in that context...

Cameron.