Re: architectures status

On Wed, Dec 10, 2003 at 07:25:39PM +0100, Thorsten Sauter wrote:

> Hi Joey,
>
> * Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> [2003-12-09 22:53]:
> | If you're involved in a d-i port, please write back and tell me what the
> | current status is (boots to main menu, some successful installs,
> | whatever), and what you expect the status to be in approximatly 2 weeks.
>

> I guess we have the following PowerPC status (please correct me, if this
> is wrong at any point):
>
> - NewWorld PowerPC's are well supported (Apple)
> - OldWorld PowerPC's are _not_ supported (because we need a floppy boot
>   method here)

There is already a oldworld kernel in the NEW queue. It is called
powerpc-small, and should fit with miboot on a floppy.

> - Pegasos is supported, if the new kernels escape from NEW (Sven?)

Yep, altough i will have to redo a build because of some RTC stuff i
have doubts about.

> - IBM RS/6000 machines (Chrep): should be supported, I'm working on a
>   special kernel build here at the moment. (direkt cdrom is maybe also
>   possible)

Huh ? The normal kernel build should work, you just need the
powerpc-chrp-rs6k flavor of the kernel. There is also a non-rs6k chrp
flavor (used by the Pegasos, but also other chrps out there, i think).

> - PReP machines are completly unsupported

There is the powerpc-prep kernel, which should work.

For chrp, chrp-rs6k and prep, i don't really know what support is needed
apart from the kernel. The kernel with the same powerpc config should
work, but you need to adjust the boot-loader wrapper.

Ah, i forgot, you need to embedd the initrd for some of those, but i
have code and a package (also sitting in the NEW queue) for taking an
initrd and embedding it in the kernel.

I am not sure of the interest of embeded initrds for pmac, but they can
be used on prep, chrp and chrp-rs6k, when not doing netboots (which can
load the initrd from the net, if i am not wrong).

> (unsupported means here, you can simply download one of the d-i images
> and install a system)

Nope, this does not work, you need the kernel sitting in the NEW queue
since over a month for that to happen.

(Sorry, for ranting, but i have discovered that nothing but repeated
ranting helps in this kind of case, and sorry, but letting one of your
fellow developer in the dark so long, without even a feedback of any
kind, is extremely rude, especially for things as important as this. And
then, it will be expected of me that i rush this support at the last
minutes, days before the 28/12. Something is very rotten in the way
debian works here.).

Friendly,

Sven Luther