Re: FWD: Can't Get Past "Install the Base System"

> ----- Forwarded message from "Dave L. Thompson" <DLThompson@leeclerk.org> -----
>
> From: "Dave L. Thompson" <DLThompson@leeclerk.org>
> Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 14:42:18 -0500
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Subject: Can't Get Past "Install the Base System"
> 	HTML_FONTCOLOR_UNKNOWN,HTML_MESSAGE autolearn=no version=2.60
>
> I am a newbie Debian installer, and I'm installing Debian on a Dell PC
> with the seven CD's I downloaded from the Debian site.  I have been
> unable to get past the "Install the Base System" portion.  I've
> confirmed that dists/woody/main/binary-i386/Release is present on the
> installation CD, but anytime I try to use it, I get the following error:
>

> "The installation program couldn't find any directory containing a file
> basedebs.tar or dists/woody/main/binary-i386/Release."

The last time I saw this, the user had booted from some CD other than
CD #1 and still had that CD in the drive. The base files are on CD #1,
so be sure that's the one you have in the drive.

--
Debian GNU/Linux Operating System
  By the People, For the People