Re: use of release names in d-i

On Wed, Dec 03, 2003 at 12:19:03PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> Anthony Towns wrote:
> > On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 01:08:24AM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> > > It seems to me that since debootstrap already knows how to download
> > > dists/$SUITE/Release, and in fact does so, it would be best to make it
> > > download them and use them to map to release code names.
> > debootstrap only knows to download the Release file once it knows what
> > suite to use. (Not all suites have had release files, eg)
> Surely all suites that are currently referred to by testing, unstable,
> and stable have release files and will continue to have them for the
> forseeable future.

The forseeable future doesn't even extend to the next release...

Putting it in debootstrap makes it hard to drop in future -- any app,
like d-i, that happens to say "debootstrap testing" is going to complain
if that breaks -- whereas putting it in d-i makes it easy to drop if
this turns out to be a bad idea.

(A nice UI might be something like:

  cando=""
  for x in oldstable stable testing unstable; do
    cn=$(wget -q -O - $MIRROR/dists/$x/Release | sed -n 's/^Codename: //p')
    if [ "$cn" -a -e "/usr/lib/debootstrap/scripts/$cn" ]; then
      cando="$cando $x=$cn"
    fi
  done
  echo "I can try to install:" $cando
  echo "Which one do you want?"

but that's only possible if d-i has the Release files itself.)

Cheers,
aj

               Linux.conf.au 2004 -- Because we can.
           http://conf.linux.org.au/ -- Jan 12-17, 2004