Re: use of release names in d-i

Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 01, 2003 at 05:40:42PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> > If the CDs had Release files that included the code name then we could
> > use that to map between the names. Unfortunatly, the CDs do not
> > currently have such a thing, nor does the debian archive.
>
> Huh?
>
> ] $ lynx -dump http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/testing/Release |
> ]   grep -i Codename:
> ] Codename: sarge
> ] $ lynx -dump http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/sarge/Release |
> ]   grep -i Suite:
> ] Suite: testing
>
> If the CDs don't already have those fields, it should be trivial to add
> them, afaics.

I was looking at the wrong release files.. CDs are also ok.

It seems to me that since debootstrap already knows how to download
dists/$SUITE/Release, and in fact does so, it would be best to make it
download them and use them to map to release code names.

It would probably work something like this: If debootstrap is told to
use a suite that it does not have a script for, try calling
download_release_indices. If that is able to download a release file for
the suite, look for the codename. If there is a script for the codename,
then use it (and try to avoid re-downloading the Release and Packages
files again, probably). Else abort.

Then d-i can just make mirror/distribution use stable, testing, and
unstable instead of code names.

Sound sane? Any volenteers who know debootstrap better than I do?

--
see shy jo